Summertime is a great season to enjoy the outdoors, spend time with friends and family, and go on road trips.
Before hitting the road, make sure your ride is safe and ready. Here are a few things you should inspect before you go:
- Air Conditioning – Make sure the air conditioning in your vehicle is performing properly.
- Tires – Check your tires for appropriate tread and tire pressure. As temperatures change so does your tire pressure.
- Fluid Levels – Check fluid levels in your vehicle: brake, automatic transmission or clutch, power steering, and windshield washer.
- Battery – Stop by a battery shop or automotive store and get your battery checked.
- Wiper Blades – With summer weather being unpredictable be sure to have well working wiper blades for inclement weather.
Once underway, be sure to remain alert for obstructions or pedestrians. Also, make sure everyone inside the vehicle is buckled up and seated properly in their car seat or booster seat (if applicable). Remove visual obstructions inside the car and try to maintain a distraction-free environment around the driver.
If you’re going someplace new, make sure you check for weather, speed limits, road conditions, and possible traffic alerts when planning your route. Enter the destination into your navigation devices/apps before you hit “Drive”. Enjoy the road trip by giving yourself plenty of time to safely reach your destination.
Follow these summer driving tips to ensure you reach your destination safely as well as getting back home to your loved ones.
For more summer driving tips, check out the article from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Enjoy the rest of your summer and drive safely!